Apr 13, 2011

Picky Addi

This little girl is SUCH a defiant kid!! She is very specific about what she wears. She only likes dresses and skirts. And she won't wear just any dress or skirt. Only the ones that she likes, which limits her wardrobe to 3 (clean) outfits.  So Addi and I went shopping. I started pulling out some dresses and skirts, showed them to her for her approval, which just didn't happen. Fine. So I let her pick out her own clothes (she was already going at it anyway) and I did the approval based on price. She picked out a skirt, shirt, shoes, & a dress.

Come Sunday morning: She puts on her new skirt and shirt (pictured above). Great! Addi was dressed, matched, and happy. I come home from my meetings to grab the kids for church and Addi is wearing a play dress (a dirty play dress, mind you). 
"Addi??? What happened to your beautiful new outfit??"

"I want to wear a dress because Emmalee is." 

"But that dress is dirty. You have worn it 3 times already this week. Can't you put the skirt on that you had on earlier??"

"No. I want to wear a dress like Emmalee." 

"Seriously?? Addi, will you please go put on your new beautiful skirt that I bought just for you to wear???" 

"No I want to wear this dress."

"But your new skirt!" 

" I don't like it anymore."

"You don't like it anymore?? But you picked it out and you loved it."

"It's not cute. I don't want it."

"But you love it!! And it has a matching shirt! And I CAN'T return it because you ripped off all the TAGS!!"

By this time, it would have been easier to have Emmalee change BUT I was not going to let this little stink go. Yes, I sat her down (after I caught her), took off her dirty dress, and put the skirt and shirt on the screaming 3 year old. "oh Addi, you know what? You should wear your pretty purple sandals today."  

(between the tears) "my sandals??" 

"Yes Addi your sandals. And you know what?? If you are going to wear sandals you got to paint your toe nails." 

instantly the crying stops and in a high excited voice: "You'll paint my toe nails?? Oh mom!! Your the BEST MOM EVER!!"


5 comments:

McBrides said...

ha ha ha! Love it!! Aren't girls fun??

critterfam said...

That is AWESOME!!! You ARE the best mom EVER!!

J and A said...

Hope she keeps all the spunk to ward off the boys in the coming years! Hope it was a wonderful toenail painting bonding moment. :) You are a wonderful Mommy! Love, Anna

Andrea Cutler said...

Sounds like Carrie....heaven help us Holly!

jayna said...

She's small and in charge! But at least she's a charm in primary! :)